[sane-devel] multiple scanners

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Fri Jan 17 10:27:12 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:37:06AM -0500, Peter Santoro wrote:
> 2) As the scanner module requires vendor and product parameters,

If the vendor and product numbers are already in the scaner module's
source code, the vendor= and product= options are not necessary. In
Linux 2.4.20, the 1660 is already known.

Or use libusb. With libusb the number of scanners is only limited by
USB specifications.

> it doesn't appear that SANE supports more than one scanner
> vendor/product at the same time.

The kernel scanner driver is not part of SANE.

> Does SANE support multiple scanner types at the same time?

Yes. Basically, the number of scanners is unlimited. I've succeeded in
scanning from 3 USB and 3 SCSI scanners at the same time :-)

However, it depends on the backend if it is able to recognize more
than one scanner at the same time.

> If so, how does one configure this?

Usually, put the "usb vendor product" lines for your scanners in the
config files. Some backends detect all supported scanners automatically.