[sane-devel] FAQ request

Tom Rauschenbach tom at tomsdomain.org
Mon Aug 29 01:20:48 UTC 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 2:25 am, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
[snip]
> Telling us which scanner you want to write a driver for and if you
> know more about that scanner than already mentioned on our website may
> help us :-)

The scanner is a Memorex 6142u.  That means of course that it is really a
Primascan Colorodao 2600u/Visioneer 4400 Scanner.

Thanks for the specific pointers.  Especially the information about Twain,
that kept me from really embarrassing myself!

It's pretty clear at this point that this scanner is probably not worth the
trouble.  Some further research is called for as the CCD might be useful as a
dedicated imaging device in something like a telescope camera.  But I am
learning that this scanner is basically junk.  The Windows driver for it is
awful and no one seems too upset about that.  It was a "free gift" and it
appears to be worth it.  It claims 9600 DPI resolution, but the Windows
driver can't actually capture an 4 inch by 4 inch image at resolution,
claiming that an 8 gig image won't fit into 24 gig of free disk space.

--
"Personally, I like to defiantly split my infinitives."
-- Larry Wall