[sane-devel] USB sanner only as root

Gustavo Bayer gustavobayer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:10:56 UTC 2006

On 2006 20:53:27, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> See Deabin's README.debian and SANE's README.linux.
> If adding the user to group "scanner" is not enough, checking if its
> ids are in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane > .usermap,
> /etc/sane.d/hotplug/libsane.db or in /etc/udev/libsane.rules may help.
> The actual file depends on your distribution.

Thank you for the orientaion.
On both computers I simply changed the id in the corresponding line of
/etc/sane.d/hotplug/libsane.db from 0664 to 0660 and it worked fine.
In case of BenQ 5000 it was also necessary to change the product code
from 0x20fc to 0x20f8, acording to the information obtained trough
sane-find-scanner, and to insert the firmware 20F8V115 (and not 20F8V116
as idicated in snapscan.sourceforge.net) in /etc/sane.d/sanapscan.conf.
Thanks
Gustavo Bayer