[sane-devel] Possible to rename network scanner?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 12:20:34 UTC 2017

The fujitsu backend includes the serial number of the scanner in the
device name. The users would have to memorize that number. Anything
more would be a code change. The best place to make such a change
would probably be in saned itself, so that all backends could benefit.
Unfortunately, many backends use a dynamically generated device name,
so saned might see different device names after the host reboots. So,
the easiest place to solve this would likely be in the fujitsu backend
itself. We could potentially replace the serial number with a
user-specified device name. This requires more thought.

allan

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM,  <dev at aequodata.com> wrote:
> I have a clinic where there are about seven scanners networked with sane.d
> and xinetd. Right now when users open SimpleScan
> and look at the list of available network scanners, they see all seven named
> 'fujitsu-fl7160' in the list and have to memorize which order
> their scanner is in the list.
>
> Is there a method to assign a descriptive name to each scanner like 'lab
> department 1' ?
>

> Clients are using Ubuntu/SimpleScan.
>
> Thanks.

of my hand"