[sane-devel] Possible to rename network scanner?

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri May 19 12:39:14 UTC 2017

Hi All(an),

m. allan noah writes:

> The fujitsu backend includes the serial number of the scanner in the
> device name. The users would have to memorize that number. Anything
> more would be a code change. The best place to make such a change
> would probably be in saned itself, so that all backends could benefit.
> Unfortunately, many backends use a dynamically generated device name,
> so saned might see different device names after the host reboots. So,
> the easiest place to solve this would likely be in the fujitsu backend
> itself. We could potentially replace the serial number with a
> user-specified device name. This requires more thought.

I don't think this is something that should be addressed by a SANE
backend.  It should also not be addressed by a SANE frontend.  It should
be addressed by SANE, eh, "middleware".  Not unlike the sanei_* stuff
but not linked statically into whatever backend happens to use it.

I've been doing Node.js web application/service development at the
office for the last year and in that field they also use the terms
frontend and backend.  At the same time, there's middleware all over
the place, to the point where there's middleware for middleware ;-), but
it all just gets sandwiched between the frontend and the backend.

I realize that SANE "middleware" is not something we can deliver now or
anytime soon (seeing that the SANE 2 draft has been stuck so long that I
can't recall the year any more precisely than 200x) but it is something
that we may consider for discussion after 1.0.26 (or 1.0.27 ;-)

# So many ideas, so little time ... but I might just start a SANE-R
# discussion after the release.  Solliciting ideas for the meaning of
# the R already!
# Then there's also the issue of Alioth -> GitLab.com that's been near
# the forefront of my mind for a while already and refuses to go away.
# Never even mind Fedora 26 and Debian 9 on the horizon which'll trigger
# a small "tsunami" of compiler warning fixes and autotools updates ...
# but that's all for after our upcoming sane-backends release.

Just my two yen,