[sane-devel] sane-backends release 1.0.26 schedule

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri May 19 13:02:37 UTC 2017

Hi All(an),

m. allan noah writes:

> What is the nature of the bug fix? Is it going to cause scanners that
> worked with the prior release to be broken with this one? How big is
> the fix? How likely to cause regressions?

Here's where git branches come in nice.  Rolf creates a branch, commits
his bug fix and pushes the branch.  Next, he informs the project admins
of the bug fix branch and that he would like to see it included in the
upcoming releases.  The project admins have a look at the code changes
and can decide for themselves and/or ask for more information as needs
be.

Right now, everything goes straight to master and I am not sure that is
the best way to proceed when using git (Subversion and CVS are different
beasts).  I also realize that forcing everything through some sort of
review process is unrealistic for sane-backends where most developers
are rather focussed on their own backend(s) only.  Maybe we should try
to write up some kind of policy for pushing to master.

Something like

 - pushing changes to master for a backend you maintain is okay (unless
   in code freeze)
 - pushing changes for code that affects multiple backends, something in
   sanei/ for example or the build system, should go to a branch and get
   reviewed before merging to master
 - anything you like to have an extra pair of eyes on goes to a branch
   and you ask/assign someone for review (uh-oh, Alioth doesn't support
   merge requests ... :-(, mail and/or mailing list for now?)
 - ... and some more for non-SANE developers that I'll skip for now

Anyway, let's focus on the release first.

I'll be around, intermittently, for most of the weekend (JST, UTC+0900)
if anything needs reviewing or if you have questions about any autotools
stuff.  If you need a Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 setup for sane-backends

  docker pull registry.gitlab.com/sane-projects/ci-envs:debian-8-full

is your friend.  It'll only take a minute or so to download.
# But it won't do the SANE API documentation and manual pages yet :-(

Hope this helps,