[sane-devel] sane-backends release 1.0.26 schedule

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Fri May 19 15:50:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am 19.05.2017 um 15:02 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
> Hi All(an),
>
> m. allan noah writes:
>
>> What is the nature of the bug fix? Is it going to cause scanners that
>> worked with the prior release to be broken with this one? How big is
>> the fix? How likely to cause regressions?
>
> Here's where git branches come in nice.  Rolf creates a branch, commits
> his bug fix and pushes the branch.  Next, he informs the project admins
> of the bug fix branch and that he would like to see it included in the
> upcoming releases.  The project admins have a look at the code changes
> and can decide for themselves and/or ask for more information as needs
> be.
>
> Right now, everything goes straight to master and I am not sure that is
> the best way to proceed when using git (Subversion and CVS are different
> beasts).  I also realize that forcing everything through some sort of
> review process is unrealistic for sane-backends where most developers
> are rather focussed on their own backend(s) only.  Maybe we should try
> to write up some kind of policy for pushing to master.
>
> Something like
>
>  - pushing changes to master for a backend you maintain is okay (unless
>    in code freeze)
>  - pushing changes for code that affects multiple backends, something in
>    sanei/ for example or the build system, should go to a branch and get
>    reviewed before merging to master
>  - anything you like to have an extra pair of eyes on goes to a branch
>    and you ask/assign someone for review (uh-oh, Alioth doesn't support
>    merge requests ... :-(, mail and/or mailing list for now?)
>  - ... and some more for non-SANE developers that I'll skip for now

In real life my company is using the gitflow structure to organize the
projects in git:
https://datasift.github.io/gitflow/IntroducingGitFlow.html . The
developer is free installing gitflow or not, but he|she must always
stick to the gitflow structure on the gitlab server.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf