[sane-devel] RasPi support for Epson Perfection V500 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon May 21 12:54:23 BST 2018

Hi Jonathan,

# Looks like your mail didn't make it to the list (yet).

Jonathan Kunkee writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> I appreciate your reply, but I think there is a misunderstanding. One link
> I mentioned is for the source (not binary blob) of that plug-in and the
> other is an article stating that a partial recompile works on the Raspberry
> Pi on an older Debian derivative. (There is a binary blob lib needed for
> the signal processing in the manufacturer-provided scanner UI that I don't
> plan to use.) My request is not for sane-devel to do any work for me on a
> niche application, but rather for debugging suggestions so I can do the
> work myself.

The iscan "source" code contains a blob that is only used by the
frontend, yes.  It goes by the name of libesmod.so.2.

The binary-only plugin that I mentioned is used and required by the
epkowa backend.  It's the blob that goes by the name of

  libesint7C.so.2

and requires a esfw7C.bin firmware file to make the device do anything
at all.

> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 4:28 AM Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> Jonathan Kunkee writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to set my Raspberry Pi 2 as a scanning workstation with my Epson
>> > Perfection V500 Photo. This is listed as unsupported by SANE and Epson
>> has
>> > long-since deprecated Linux support for it.
>> >
>> > [... snip ...]
>> >
>> > Any hints on what I'm missing?
>>
>> The fact that your Epson Perfection V500 Photo
>>
>>   requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-x770
>>
>> as is documented at
>>
>>   http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA
>>
>> This plugin is only available in binary format for i386 and amd64
>> architectures AFAIK.  You can get it via the "Package Download Page"
>> on the site you mentioned.
>>
>> Sorry to disappoint you.  Please contact the vendor about support for
>> other architectures.  Without source code, there is nothing the SANE
>> project can do to help you.

Hope this clarifies,