[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds Canon Canoscan N24OU, scanimage -L does not

Terry Spearman tnspearman at twc.com
Thu Oct 25 20:46:40 BST 2018

I'm running under Centos 7 (kernel 3.10.0-862.14.4.e17x86_64) and the
version of SANE I downloaded from the Centos repository via yum install.
When I run sane-find-scanner -v -v it tells me "found USB scanner
(vendor=0x0a9 [Canon], product= 0x220e [CanoScan] at libusb:001:002", but,
after checking several possibilities, says: <Couldn't determine the type of
USB chip (result from sane-backends 1.0.24)>.  Running scanimage -L tells me
"No scanners were identified.....".  I've seen documentation that the N1024
has complete support via the plustek backend, and uses the LM9883 ASIC
(which is not one of the ones sane-find-scanner says it checks for).  I've
tried modifying the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file by commented out everything
except net, plustek, and canon_dr, modified the /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf to
try several different methods of referring to the scanner (currently using:

[usb]

[usb] 0x0429 0x220e

device libusb:001:002

and modified /etc/sane/canon_dr.conf by commenting out everything and adding
to the end:

#CanoScan N24OU

option vendor-name CANON

option model-name CanoScan

option version-number N24OU

usb 0x04a9 0x220e

I'm pretty much out of ideas.  Any and all suggestions gratefully received