[sane-devel] network scanning quit working

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Fri Dec 4 05:27:26 GMT 2020

Hi Perry,

On 12/4/20 3:48 AM, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> The one change I know of is that, since the last time it was working,
> the scanner reported (via the front-panel LCD) that its IP address
> had changed; and the new IP address is a bit strange:  169.254.53.67,
> (previously 192.168.0.10, the local network being 192.168.0/24).
> Since it was found automatically before, and it does respond to ping
> at its new address, I would expect it to be found again despite the
> changed IP address.

This is so called link-local IP address. The addresses of this kind are
assigned automatically, when there is no "normal" address assignment,
either DHCP or manual.

So you need to check your DHCP server, something wrong has happened with it.

P.S. I prefer to assign IP addresses to stationary devices (printers,
routers, TV boxes, washing machines...) manually, and use DHCP only for
gadgets like cellphones, notebooks etc.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)