[sane-devel] network scanning quit working

Perry Hutchison pluto at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Dec 4 09:40:40 GMT 2020

Alexander Pevzner <pzz at apevzner.com> wrote:

> Hi Perry,
>
> On 12/4/20 3:48 AM, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> > The one change I know of is that, since the last time it was working,
> > the scanner reported (via the front-panel LCD) that its IP address
> > had changed; and the new IP address is a bit strange:  169.254.53.67,
> > (previously 192.168.0.10, the local network being 192.168.0/24).
> > Since it was found automatically before, and it does respond to ping
> > at its new address, I would expect it to be found again despite the
> > changed IP address.
>
> This is so called link-local IP address. The addresses of this kind are
> assigned automatically, when there is no "normal" address assignment,
> either DHCP or manual.
>
> So you need to check your DHCP server, something wrong has happened
> with it.

It's entirely possible that, when the power came back on, the scanner
was out looking for its IP address before the DHCP server was ready to
provide one.

> P.S. I prefer to assign IP addresses to stationary devices (printers,
> routers, TV boxes, washing machines...) manually, and use DHCP only for
> gadgets like cellphones, notebooks etc.

In this case, rather than trying to figure out how to directly assign
a static IP to the scanner, I had expected to get the same effect by
configuring the DHCP server to reserve the IP address for a particular
MAC address.