[Simple-cdd-devel] Simple-CDD rewrite

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Wed Jan 21 23:13:46 UTC 2015

Simple-CDD has limped by for many years with minimal feature
development, large only keeping up to date with debian-cd and
debian-installer. Even though that's worked out ok overall, there are
some useability improvements that have lingered unresolved...

Enrico Zini recently offered to rewrite simple-cdd in python, and it's
turning out quite nicely! One of the many improvements is logging,
stashing most of the rather verbose output into log files, so that the
output the user sees is more relevent. Users can adjust how much they
see with --verbose and --debug flags.

The code is overall more readable, maintainable, and easier to
troubleshoot. In general, I think it will be easier to use as a result.

It's a work in progress, but is already nearly feature complete with the
old code. So I intend to switch future versions to the new python based
codebase once Debian Jessie is released, possibly uploading to
experimental before then.

While we're in the midst of change, I've also taken the opportunity to
switch to git at the revision control system:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/simple-cdd.git/

Most of the active work is on the "topython" branch, and "master" is
currently just a mirror of the simple-cdd-devel bzr branch.

Many thanks to Enrico Zini for the excellent effort
to rewrite simple-cdd!

live well,
  vagrant