[Simple-cdd-devel] Simple-CDD rewrite

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jan 22 14:36:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 03:13:46PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> Enrico Zini recently offered to rewrite simple-cdd in python, and it's
> turning out quite nicely! One of the many improvements is logging,
> stashing most of the rather verbose output into log files, so that the
> output the user sees is more relevent. Users can adjust how much they
> see with --verbose and --debug flags.

I've pushed a new change: now the list of variables used during the
build process is described in the big VARIABLES array, like so:

    PathVar("simple_cdd_dir", os.getcwd(),
            help="simple-cdd working directory"),
    PathVar("simple_cdd_temp", ["{simple_cdd_dir}", "tmp"],
            help="directory where intermediate build data are stored"),
    PathVar("simple_cdd_basedir", ["{simple_cdd_temp}", "debian-cd"],
            help="working directory for debian-cd"),
    TextVar("server", "ftp.us.debian.org",
            help="default server used for mirrors"),

This gives us a place to document what each of those dozens of variables
actually is for. The documentation is also written out in the tool
execution logs for those variables for which we know it:

    $ cat tmp/log/mirror-reprepro
    #!/bin/sh
    # Execute tool mirror/reprepro

    # Export environment
    export APTTMP=/home/enrico/lavori/truelite/satellitevolta/simple-cdd-devel/tmp/cd-build/apt
    # Architecture of the target distribution
    export ARCH=amd64
    # all the architectures that will be present in the built ISO
    export ARCHES=amd64
    export BASEDIR=/home/enrico/lavori/truelite/satellitevolta/simple-cdd-devel/tmp/debian-cd
    export BASE_INCLUDE=''
    export BOOT_TIMEOUT=''
    # distribution name (etch, lenny, wheezy, jessie, ..., sid)
    export CODENAME=jessie

I personally don't know what each of those is for; vagrant, when you
have a moment can you please review/add help="..." entries?

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>