[Debburn-devel] dvd+rw-format, DVD-RW media, wodim errors, unusable disk.

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Jun 17 06:10:39 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Before I got the idea to play with dvd+rw-format, I merely used growisofs,
> which seemed to just "scrub" the old data and put on new data.

That is very unexpected. DVD-RW are sold in
sequential state and are supposed to refuse on
re-use if they get not blanked.
The behavior you observed is rather typical for
formatted DVD-RW.

Well, if you do not use growisofs options -dvd-compat
or -dvd-video then the media stays appendable.
In that case growisofs would add the next session
to the existing data.
But you talked about Knoppix images. I assume that
not more than one of those fits on one DVD.

So either your drive is so ill that it regarded the
appendable sequential media as blank, or those media
were already formatted.
Do you have by chance an undamaged media which you
could inquire by  dvd+rw-mediainfo ?

> I'll try to reinitialize the media in
> another system with other burn software, likely
> Windows XP Home / Ahead Nero 7.

Currently i would blame the situation rather on the
drive than on the burn software.
Nevertheless it's surely worth a try.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas