[Debian-hebrew-common] BiDi UI packages (and sponsor needed)

Lior Kaplan kaplan at debian.org
Fri Aug 18 14:24:17 CEST 2006

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

>> Lior Kaplan wrote:
>>

>>> 1. I imported your revised version to debian-hebrew repository for the
>>> co-maintenance. Please do changes in the SVN, so they will be noticeable
>>> to all.
>>>

>> Ok, I give up. Where's the SVN repository? Haven't been able to find it.
>>
>> I tried looking at the project's status page, home page, and on the
>> alioth SSH server.
>>
> Ok, so I found it, but....

Good.

> I don't like the directory layout.

The directory layout is done according to what needing by
svn-buildpackage and created with svn-inject.

Documentation is at /usr/share/doc/svn-buildpackage/ (from the
svn-buildpackage package).

> The way I see it is this:
>
>     * upstream - there is no need to place the explicit upstream version
>       in our SVN. That's what upstream CVS exists for.
>     * We cannot have a branch for every version we release. It makes
>       checking out the tree a royal pain. That is, to me, one of the
>       major downsides of the Subversion method.

you could check out only the tree for a specific packages, so you'll
need little space and bandwidth for that.

We save that branch if we need to work on a previous released version.
Like doing a stable release update (which I want to do for bidiv).

>     * Related to the point above - I usually place in the "tags" folder
>       a single text file containing line, each with:
>           o The name of the tag
>           o The date of the tag
>           o The repository revision when "trunk" was the revision I
>             wanted tagged (or any other directory, but place a comment
>             in the text file).

It's doable of course, but will make us to work harder with svn's
options and feature. With the current way we can just do the debian work
on the tagged version (and commit to another tagged version).

> If you would care to explain the current layout (i.e. - where do I find
> what), so that I can work with it, I would be much obliged.

Let do a step by step - do your work in pkg/bidiui/trunk to prepare the
package. Commit as needed, so everyone else will see the changes (and
maybe also contribute).

We'll continue when you think it's ready for upload.