Starting D-I translation effort for Bangla - step 1 (was: Re: [Debian-in-workers] Re: [DebianIndia] Debian-IN)

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 24 09:23:11 UTC 2005

Quoting Baishampayan Ghose (b.ghose at gmail.com):

> > Well, experience for other languages has shown that localizing the
> > Debian Installer (D-I) brings a lot of attention on a language.
> I am interested in translating D-I to Bangla (bn_IN). Tell me how to proceed.

Well, now everything is ready for us to start working on this.

The new Debian Installer i18n documentation is now online:

http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n-doc/

I recommend you to read chapter 3 (New Language Process) and champter
1 (Translating Debian Installer).

We willf rom now go through the New Language Process described in
chapter 3, for the Bengali language (I use "Bengali" here as this is
the official name of the language, in English, according to ISO-639).

The first step is: First contact with Debian Installer development
team

As written in the documentation, "For this step to be considered
complete, the Debian Installer i18n coordinators must have the real
name and a reliable email address of at least one translator who must
be an individual. This individual will be called the language
coordinator for the given language. The name and contact address of an
existing translation team as well as a backup coordinator are very
valuable information to record at this step, but are not considered
mandatory."

So, I guess the language coordinator should be actually you, of
course.

Is "Baishampayan Ghose (b.ghose at gmail.com)" what I should record?

Do you have a name/address of a backup coordinator/translator as well
as a translation team to mention, which I could add here (not
mandatory as mentioned)?