[debian-lan-devel] FusionDirectory vs GoSA

Daniel Olynsma Daniel.Olynsma at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 21:34:04 UTC 2015

Hi Andi,

On 15/06/15 21:33, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:17:26PM +0000, Daniel Olynsma wrote:

I would like to ask if there are plans to move from GoSA to FusionDirectory?
As it appears to be under active development and supports many plugins.

Yes, I thought about this too.  There are currently two things I would
like to explore for the Debian stretch release:

  * Keep it more or less as it is but replace for example GOsa and
    perhaps some other components by "better" suited alternatives.
    For example switch from nscd, nslcd and libpam-krb5 to sssd. (This
    has been already commited, but for me 'sss_cache -U -G' does not
    work as expected, at least the last time I tested it.)

  * I would like to test FreeIPA and check if it may play a role in
    the further development of Debian-LAN.

Do you have any experience with the current status of FusionDirectory
or FreeIPA?

Sadly I do not have practical experience with either FusionDirectory or FreeIPA.
However I did find a project that has made use of FusionDirectory instead of GoSA for debian-LAN
http://sverigelinux.github.io/
https://github.com/SverigeLinux

I have not tried it out, as it is currently based on Wheezy.  But it does look like it tries to address what you say.
It gives similar functionality to freeIPA.  So it could make a good intermediate step to FreeIPA etc...

I have looked over the documentation for FreeIPA and it does look very good and looks like it would
reduce the complexity of the system.  However it does not look like anyone has really got it working
on a complete Debian environment, so would be very experimental.

Regards,
Daniel