[debian-lan-devel] Access roles at Alioth

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Wed Jan 4 15:05:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:40:46PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I see no good reason for multiple levels of access rights for our team
> at Alioth.
>
> As a provocation, I have therefore demoted myself to "junior developer"
> like most other members of our team, leaving only Andreas as "admin".
>
> I would highly recommend that we treat each other as equal peers.  If
> you can be convinced of the sensibility of that, Andreas, then please
> promote us all to be admins, and delete those other roles unneeded for
> our team.
>
> If you disagree, then feel free to arue your case but don't expect to
> convince me.  If you want co-admins then please pick someone else than
> me: I dislike having unequal power over others.

The reason I removed most of the members from the admin role was that
someone posted an open job position (not too related to DebianLAN, and
not at all discussed at the mailing list) combined with encouraging
words which were probably meant nice but are not very helpful in
alioth.

I think none of us has time and interest in cleaning up alioth from
random thoughts and ideas and maybe perhaps spam or in the worst case
vandalism.

If there is someone, I am happy to step down from my admin job
and the person in charge can do what he wants with permissions and
roles, as long as he guarantees that the goals of DebianLAN and Alioth
remain intact.

Everybody who wants to help with the administration/maintenance of the
Alioth account please drop me a short note. I am very happy to promote
everybody interested in this job to the admin role.

However, I think discussing unequal power on the subject at hand is a
rather dogmatic (and maybe ridiculous) thing I do not want to spend
too much time right now.

Best regards,

     Andi