[debian-lan-devel] Next steps [was: Re: Access roles at Alioth]

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Wed Jan 4 23:48:56 UTC 2012

Hi Medhamsh, hi everybody,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:26:24PM +0530, Medhamsh wrote:

> Wishing you all a very happy new year

Thank you very much!

> and hope
> we will really roll out with a release soon.

What do you mean with "release"?  My plan is to test the Setup_A
described in the wiki
     http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/Setup_A
once more as
    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-lan-devel/Week-of-Mon-20111212/000019.html
reports problems and there is up to now no report that things work as
documented.  The setup worked here, but I would like to have more
confidence before I really recommend the setup to others.  The
procedure described in
	http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/bootstrap
is rather complicated and I want to describe how to build a CD which
would simplify the setup, as a seed machine would not be needed
anymore.  However, last time I tried the CD image approach, I had
errors from the cfengine run during the installation.
This might be related to the virtual machine I use and is perhaps
no problem for real hardware.  However, I want to check that.

As soon as it is sure things work as they should, I suggest to make
some mailing lists like FAI, debian-entreprise and debian-edu a bit
more aware of our project.

> By the way I am too eager with the activity of our team.
> Can we have a slot for an IRC meeting and set ourselves
> some short-term goals and roll out a release.

I think the problem of an IRC meeting is that everybody (who's that,
btw?) has time and we should have an idea before the meeting what to
discuss or decide.  I outlined my ideas above, perhaps everybody
interested can comment on that or descibe his own ideas and plans.

> I also want
> to discuss the broad goal of debian-lan because I am unable
> to visualize how debian-lan will be apart from "fai".

Well, I think FAI is the current technology used to build a Debian
LAN.  FAI provides some examples like fai-quickstart, but no
maintained and out-of-the-box usable config space for the use cases
Debian LAN tries to serve.

> elaborate a little, the account management and the web-interface
> which makes the administration easy.

As soon as Setup_A proves its usability not only in my school and on
my virtual testing environment, I suggest to add a Setup_B which adds
more 'comfort' - something like debian-edu with GOsa or cipux come to
mind.

I am looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Best regards

     Andi