[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Sat Nov 24 02:16:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 05:59:48PM -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> Please report that as a bug. Any non-free software that is included on
> an FSF-approved distro is considered a critical bug.

It's not included as a part of Trisquel, but alongside it on the same
hardware, which is a sticking point for Debian despite Debian explicitly
disclaiming those pieces of software. They're not part of Debian despite
Debian developers generally being the people making them fit with Debian. I
realize that this doesn't apply to everyone, but for *me* I think it's
sufficient, and if we look at the bigger picture, the story with Trisquel is
very similar.

I'd much rather we pursue things like non-free software not being recommended
or suggested, with the caveat of course that if it's required for someone's
computer to work, that be handled appropriately. I think RMS's position on
proprietary video games for GNU/Linux applies fairly directly here - it's not
ideal, but getting people onto a free platform is a good side effect
nonetheless.

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

I think this shows the sort of compromise that is needed to get people into
the free software world. For instance:

   "However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using
    them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid
    the harm to your freedom that Windows would do."

So, is it ideal having this software? No. Is there good that can come of it?
Yes. An example of this would be my search for this very specific article. I
wasn't looking for this, but a byproduct of my search was coming across this:

    www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/ryzom-free-software

I tend to think that the equivalent side-effect to someone running Debian
GNU/Linux on hardware that requires non-free firmware to run is that if they
have a good experience generally with Debian (or any other free OS) they are
going to want to use compatibility with that as part of their criteria for
selecting their next computer, assuming resources sufficient to have such a
choice. This is a Good Thing. It gets more people into the free software
world, and vastly increases the chance that these people will themselves feel
empowered to try writing free software someday. And that's something we want.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             mason at blisses.org            Ewige Blumenkraft!
(if awake 'sleep (aref #(sleep dream) (random 2))) -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I