[Fsf-Debian] rar/unrar

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Fri Oct 19 01:14:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM, John Sullivan wrote:

> Right, I read that thread, and the conclusion I saw was that there was
> no substantiated evidence of a copyright problem, or reason to think
> that a claim was going to be pursued. I'm surprised if you drew a
> different conclusion.

I thought it was fairly clear from these two mails that there was not
just black-box reverse-engineering going on.

<1741945156.20120217233555 at rarlab.com>
<rt-3.4.5-19272-1329500180-631.720777-5-0 at rt.gnu.org>

Whether or not that translates into a copyright issue is another
matter. It appears that Eugene Roshal (RAR format author) is not
interested in legal proceedings, even if that is the case. That does
not nessecarily mean that the WinRAR team will not start legal
proceedings since the company is more than just Eugene. I would guess
that it is quite unlikely but you never know what will happen if, say,
the company were to be aquired.

--
bye,
pabs