debian and gentoo branches [to be removed]

Xavier Oswald xoswald at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 16:04:36 UTC 2009

On 15:53 Fri 13 Nov     , Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need to remove the debian and gentoo branches (unless you can
> convince the decision makers here).
>
> How do we do that?
>
> Are the files in those branches important. if so, perhaps they could be
> stored with the main branch. It doesn't take much to create a directory
> 'package/debian' and 'package/gentoo' (or find another name if necessary).
>
> Or perhaps, those branches are no longer relevant and should be deleted.
>
> If you want to keep them in the history for reference (delete branches
> but keep the commits). That is also a possibility (look at git merge -s
> ours).
>
> Personally, I'd like the first solution as it gives people more choice
> when they download the Lisaac source tarball. For one, I don't think I
> would be able to use these files, but if there was a PKGBUILD or a rpm
> .spec files, I think I could use them.

Well,

The fact is that we have a gentoo and debian branch since we have tools in the
debian and gentoo project that understand the git structure and will then use
the right branch.

Before removing/moving anything we have to take a decision with Frederic about
how we will work with debian.

For gentoo, I think we can remove it since it's only one small file.

So Frederic, what I suggest is keeping the debian branch and add a debian branch
in the new editors.git and libraries.git so we will be able to build packages
respectively for:
 * The compiler:
   - lisaac
   - lisaac-common
   - lisaac-doc (shorter)
 * Editors:
   - lisaac-vim-mode
   - lisaac-kate-mode
   - lisaac-emacs-mode
   - lisaac-EDITOR-mode ...
 * Libraries:
   - libbase-lisaac
   - libopengl-lisaac
   - libLIBRARY-lisaac ...

That are the convention's name I suggest.

You will maybe think that it's strange for libraries but that's the common way
we are doing in debian.

The point is that we will then do a debian branch in each git we have if we want
this in debian. So we will be able to release separatly any library we want.

Comments are welcomed ... :)

Greetings,
--
 ,''`.| ====== Xavier Oswald  ====== | mail: xoswald at debian.org         |