debian and gentoo branches [to be removed]

Farzad Sehat farzad.sehat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 16:29:30 UTC 2009

M. Farzad Sehat
farzad.sehat at gmail.com

2009/11/13 Xavier Oswald <xoswald at gmail.com>

> On 15:53 Fri 13 Nov     , Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We need to remove the debian and gentoo branches (unless you can
> > convince the decision makers here).
> >
> > How do we do that?
> >
> > Are the files in those branches important. if so, perhaps they could be
> > stored with the main branch. It doesn't take much to create a directory
> > 'package/debian' and 'package/gentoo' (or find another name if
> necessary).
> >
> > Or perhaps, those branches are no longer relevant and should be deleted.
> >
> > If you want to keep them in the history for reference (delete branches
> > but keep the commits). That is also a possibility (look at git merge -s
> > ours).
> >
> > Personally, I'd like the first solution as it gives people more choice
> > when they download the Lisaac source tarball. For one, I don't think I
> > would be able to use these files, but if there was a PKGBUILD or a rpm
> > .spec files, I think I could use them.
>
> Well,
>
> The fact is that we have a gentoo and debian branch since we have tools in
> the
> debian and gentoo project that understand the git structure and will then
> use
> the right branch.
>
> Before removing/moving anything we have to take a decision with Frederic
> about
> how we will work with debian.
>
> For gentoo, I think we can remove it since it's only one small file.
>
> So Frederic, what I suggest is keeping the debian branch and add a debian
> branch
> in the new editors.git and libraries.git so we will be able to build
> packages
> respectively for:
>  * The compiler:
>   - lisaac
>   - lisaac-common

lisaac and lisaac-common ? it could be just lisaac-common with the current
content of the compiler.git

>   - lisaac-doc (shorter)

Good idea to have a lisaac-doc package. Thus, it comes closer to the current
standards in distribution packages

so we can have a debian and gentoo branch in the compiler.git for theses
purposes.

>  * Editors:
>   - lisaac-vim-mode
>   - lisaac-kate-mode
>   - lisaac-emacs-mode
>   - lisaac-EDITOR-mode ...

Good idea, this way each one can install just the package he wants according
to the editor he uses (Vim ;)

so we can have a debian and gentoo branch in the editor.git for theses
purposes.

>  * Libraries:
>   - libbase-lisaac
>   - libopengl-lisaac
>   - libLIBRARY-lisaac ...

When releasing, we included a lot of libraries in the final package but not
all of theme. In fact there are some libraries
which does not work with current compiler version. And moreover there are
some libs which were not tested when releasing.
If you look at the current release tarball in the website, in the lib
directory you have :

   - standard
   - internal

the two above, have to be included in the lisaac-common packages, as they
are part of the compiler.git

   - extra

each lib in this extra directory could be packaged as lib<name of the lib as
in the extra dir>-lisaac
this way each one could install just the EXTRA library he wants

   - unstable

the content of this unstable directory should no be packaged for the moment
be cause not tested yet/

 so we can have a debian and gentoo branch in the libraries.git for theses
purposes.

And i propose to have a debian and gentoo branch in the application.git in
order to package the standard examples,
this could be something like <name of the example>-lisaac.
The other examples are not fully tested and should not be packaged as the
unstable libraries