RE : 0.39 beta

PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Tue Nov 17 09:31:22 UTC 2009

> autotools...

> It's a stack of ugly programme who have been corrected by one more
> layer.  But it's standard.

Yes this is th eproblem. I must admist that I tried to avoid as much as possible
the autotools, but it provide plenty of default comportement used by distributors.

distcheck, dist, check, install etc...
take into account user environment variables etc...
cross compilation.

If you look at the makefile you will see a DIST variable and to my opinion it would be
cleaner to use this tool even if is sometimes penfull.

> Maybe we could use them just to have the compatibility layer and do
> everything with the lisaac system ?

yes this is my view.

> Or we could have the same kind of options ?

As thay said when you develop your how makefile, you are facing the same problem already solved by the autotools in the past.
the more you put in your Makefile the less it is readable.

One advantage of the autotools is that it is "well" known by distributors.

> But before doing a change, is there a real problem with the current system ?

maintenability ?

Frederic