[Neurodebian-devel] Insight Toolkit to bump 4.9.0

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Mar 24 15:30:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 14:00 -0400, Matt McCormick wrote:
>

>> A humble request: could the Insight Toolkit packages please be
>> updated for ITK 4.9.0? It is available for the bleeding edge Debian
>> [1] and Ubuntu [2], but some people request a backport for older
>> Ubuntu, etc., and NeuroDebian does a great job at this.
>
> A note of warning with the Python bindings: In ITK-4.9 the bindings are
> created via castxml, and this will need a sufficiently new version of
> clang. I know that in Ubuntu trusty the clang version was too old.

Is it possible to allow the use of the CastXML binary that ITK ships
with for these older versions? This is only a build-time dependency.
The binary is here:

  https://midas3.kitware.com/midas/item/318227

> For Distributions with pre 5.0 g++ gccxml should work instead, but I
> don't know whether this is still codified in ITK-4.9.

I did a test of of Ubuntu trusty with ITK 4.9.0 / gccxml. The attached
patch allows the build to start with -DITK_USE_SYSTEM_CASTXML and
-DCASTXML_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/gccxml passed to CMake, but the gccxml
shipped with Ubuntu-trusty segfaults on some inputs. :-(

> Apart from that I have a Ubuntu trusty package without Python bindings
> and without debug packages in a PPA [3].
>
> [3] https://launchpad.net/~gert-die/+archive/ubuntu/trusty-mia

Very cool!

There is greatest interest in the Python wrapping if we can get that working.

Thanks,
Matt