[Po4a-devel][CVS] po4a/lib/Locale/Po4a Xml.pm,NONE,1.1

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:03:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Denis Barbier wrote:
[...]
> This paragraph appears on every piece of documentation.  My feeling is
> that this is not plain English, so I rewrote it into something like:
>   The po4a (po for anything) project goal is to ease translations (and
>   more interestingly, the maintenance of translations) using gettext
>   tools on areas where they were not expected like documentation.
> Other people made other fixes, so there are now 4 slightly different
> paragraphs in po/pod/po4a-pod.pot, it would be nice if someone fluent in
> English could propose a better wording so that all instances get fixed.

You're right, we should standarize some of these repeated phrases. Your
proposal looks good. May I update those documents with this phrase?

> > use Locale::Po4a::TransTractor;
> > use Locale::gettext qw(gettext);
> > #is there any better (or more standard) package than this to recode strings?
> > #use Locale::Recode;
>
> IIRC Encode is now the standard way.  About XML attributes, I read
> posts from Daniel Veillard telling that good DTDs should never make
> attributes translatable in XML, human readable data have to appear in
> tag's body.  Unfortunately I have no pointer, but this made sense to me.

The fact is that some times we want to "translate" some non-human-readable
things (like <book lang="en"> in docbook), and there are also many
not-good DTDs out there, that put text into attributes. I think we
shouldn't exclude them.

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta