[sane-devel] Cannot run xsane 0.84 and 0.85 with the current CVS backends 1.0.7

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:46:17 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:55:18PM +0200, Christian Fughe wrote:
> 1.) Xsane-0.85 shows garbled text in place of German umlauts in the menus
>     and messages.

Same here, but only happens for me with the lincense dialog when started for
the first time. Looks like a problem with UTF-8. If I do
cd po/
rm de.gmo
cp de-latin1.po de.po
make ; make install

it doesn't happen but the license is in English now :-}. Oliver knows
about this one and maybe can show a fix.

> 2.) I do scan over a local Ethernet. As soon as I install the current CVS
>     version of sane-backends on the frontend machine and uninstall, remake
>     and install xsane 0.84/0.85,

That means, with the non-CVS version of sane it worked with xsane?
By the way, you usually don't need to recompile xsane when updating
sane-backends.

>     I get the following misbehaving of
>     xsane-0.84 and xsane-0.85. This misbehaving does not change, when I
>     install the current CVS sane-backends as well on the scanning machine.
>
>     a.) The preview ends with the warning message about the backend,
>         sending more data than expected and the preview image locks as if
>         it suffers from the stair-case effect of bad text printing. A
>         vertical line rotates about 15 degrees.

I can only try over localhost (net:localhost:mustek:/dev/scanner) and
it doesn't happen here with my 6000 CX. Do you use and special
settings (e.g. fast preview)? Does it work with xscanimage?

>     b.) Xsane does not return from scanning Linart, Halftone, and Gray
>         scans. It seems as if xsane waits for more data at the end of
>         a scan. Color scans are possible.

Also doesn't happen here. You have a different firmware revision but
it's suspicous that you don't have problems with scanimage.

> The debug messages of
>
> SANE_DEBUG_NET=5 scanimage -L
> SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 scanimage -L
>
> identifies the backends as following:

[...]

Looks ok. Can you make sure, that the saned that is called by (x)inetd
on the scan server is that one of 1.0.7 (or CVS)?

You can also try the saned debug mode. Disable saned in (x)inetd, and
start it manually:

SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 saned -d128 2>/tmp/dbg.log

You will have to restart it after each scan.

> If the complete log files with special DEBUG options are necessary, no
> problem, I can do that.

Yes please. I'm interested in both the preview and the scan problem.
Please send me (not the list) the dbg.log files.

Is it possible to try xsane on the scan server or doesn't it have X?