[sane-devel] USB "Unable to access minor data".

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:32:04 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 07:46:23AM +0000, Michael Chapman wrote:
> <SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128 scanimage --device epson:/dev/usbscanner>
> returns
> 	[epson] sane_start: /dev/usbscanner open (USB) failed: No such device

/dev/usbscanner exists has correct permissions? Is the scanner found
by the kernel? -> try sane-find-scanner and cat /proc/bus/usb/devices .

> then /var/log/messages has "Unable to access minor data" for scanner.c

That's ok. SANE tries to open all available /dev/scanner* devices and
so you get this message for every device not connected to a scanner.

> PS usbview shows the scanner there but in RED, and in the information field
> has the line "Name: (none)", which I presume is also indicative of the no
> driver problem ???

I have no idea, my version of usbview doesn't show anything red (but I
don't have any Epson scanner). Is there any indication that the kernel
USB scanner driver ("usbscanner") has detected your device? Otherwise
you must tell the scanner module the vendor and device ids:

rmmod scanner
modprobe scanner vendor=0x0001 product=0x0002

Get the correct ids from usbview.