[sane-devel] Re: connecting to Epson PX-A550 (CX4600)

David D. Smith davidsmith@acm.org
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:29:22 +0900

--=-=-=

 "Sean" =3D=3D Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net> writes:

  Sean> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 13:34 +0900, David D. Smith wrote:
  >> I am attempting to use an Epson PX-A550 (US model CX4600) using
  >> the epkowa backend (1.0.195 in sane-backends 1.0.15) from an IBM
  >> ThinkPad X40 laptop using kernel 2.6.11 and libusb 0.1.10a both
  >> from Debian GNU/Linux. sane-find-scanner finds the scanner but
  >> when I try to use it e.g. with scanimage -L, it fails. Attached
  >> is a debug log captured with `SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=3D128
  >> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=3D128 SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=3D128 scanimage -L` and my
  >> /proc/bus/usb/devices file at that time. My dll.conf file only
  >> contains the single entry for epkowa as this scanner is supported
  >> only by that driver. The error point is the first time epkowa
  >> attempts to send the initialize command to the device; the
  >> command apparently never reaches the scanner because libusb
  >> returns a "No such file or directory" error immediately when
  >> trying to talk to the found endpoint. I can't tell if something
  >> is failing earlier in the initialization.
  >>
  Sean> I have this exact model sitting in my office right now.  The
  Sean> only config change that I made to it was adding it's USB ID's
  Sean> to epson.conf.  After that, it just worked.

  Sean> If it really is the same as the US CX4600(has USBID of
  Sean> 04b8:080d) then it should behave the same as mine does.

Hi Sean, glad to hear it is working well for you. When you say you
have the exact model, you mean the US CX4600 because my product ID is
0x080e? What version of sane are you using and on what kernel and with
what system? Are you sure you're using the epson backend and not the
epkowa backend because according to the documentation on the SANE
website, the CX4600 and PX-A550 are only supported under the epkowa
backend for now. Also, what do you make of my debug log where libusb
gives "No such file or directory" when trying to write two bytes to
the found endpoint? The endpoint is correct and since there is no file
in question, it's an ioctl to send an URB to the endpoint, what does
the "No such file or directory" error mean in that context?

Thanks,
=2D-=20
  David D. Smith
A man without doubt is a monster.