[sane-devel] Epson 3170 in Kubuntu

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 13 23:48:32 UTC 2006

Adrian Jadic <jadic at dallnet.net> writes:

> My mistake: I had installed the libsane-extras but not the iscan plugin.
>
> Now it works only with iscan.

If you have the plugin installed, it ought to work with other SANE
frontends as well.  But wait!  You run on AMD64, right?  It won't work
with 64bit.  You will need to run all your SANE stuff in 32bit mode.

> Since I see you are at avasys could you explain to me why in SUSE 9.3 kooka
> works just fine with this scanner (w epkowa installed) and in later suse
> releases as well as in Kubuntu (as I found out) I cannot get Kooka to fire up
> the scanner?

Up until iscan-1.17.0, the source and binary packages included all
plugins.  The list of plugins kept growing, leading to ever larger
source tarballs and binary packages.  So with iscan-1.18.0 we split
the binary package into a core package and several plugin packages.
With iscan-2.0.0 we also dropped the plugins from the source tarball.

This leads to a situation where now you just install the core package
and have out-of-the-box support for the majority of EPSON devices.
Only a select few require a single plugin to get the same kind of
support.  You only install what you really need now and are no longer
"burdened" with a load of non-free binary stuff you don't need anyway.

FTR, the binary packages went down from close to a megabyte to about
one third of that and the source tarballs from about two megabyte to
half that.

> I managed to make kooka see the scanner by inserting a line with the data for
> this scanner in the etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules. Before it would only
> see it if run in root.

The upcoming release will have (experimental) udev support as well,
making things even easier.

> So now kooka displays that small window with "choosing device" and the Epson
> 3170 is listed correctly.
> But when I press "preview" or "scan" nothing happens.

Hmm, that's weird.  If listed in the window to choose a device, the
backend did see the device allright.  Could you take a look at the
debugging output?

  $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=50 iscan 2> debug.log

The output will end up in the debug.log file.

> Thank you,
> A Jadic
>
> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 00:54, you wrote:
>> Adrian Jadic <jadic at dallnet.net> writes:
>> > I have trouble using the Epson Perfection 3170 Photo in Kubuntu 6.06
>> >
>> > Kooka and scanimage recognise the scanner. However when I try to scan I
>> > am getting the following errors:
>> > =================
>> > ~$ scanimage -L
>> > device `epson:libusb:001:004' is a Epson  flatbed scanner
>>
>> This scanner is NOT supported by the epson backend.  It is also not
>> supported by the plustek or snapscan backends.  If you want to use
>> this scanner, you will have to use the epkowa backend together with a
>> non-free binary-only plugin.  Some distributions now include this
>> backend but the plugin is probably only available via:
>>
>>   http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html
>>
>> > ~$ scanimage
>> > scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>> > ~$ kooka
>> > libkscan: WARNING: Trying to copy a not healthy option (no name nor desc)
>> > libkscan: WARNING: Trying to copy a not healthy option (no name nor desc)
>> > ScimInputContextPlugin()
>> > ~ScimInputContextPlugin()
>> > ~$
>> > =================
>> > This happens in both root and user.
>> > Can anyone help me get further here? This scanner works fine in SUSE 9.3
>> >
>> > metricus
>> > AMD 3000+, 1GB RAM, Kubuntu 6.06
>>
>> The plugin is only available for i386 ...
>>
>> Hope this helps,

As always, hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/