[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 3690 not recognized

Michael N. Steen mich at mirfak.dk
Wed May 16 01:28:29 UTC 2012

>      Hello,
>
>      this scanner (based on the USB ID) is supported by the genesys
> backend, including transparency adaptor since SANE 1.0.21. Maybe an
> access permission problem ? Checking the installed genesys.conf and
> dll.conf may also be worth.
>
>      Another way to test is to do:
> export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
> export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
> export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL646=255
> scanimage -L
>
> Regards,
>      Stef

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is the result of my endeavours, as
you'll see to no avail:

# dmesg | tail -6
usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=1405
usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=12
usb 4-1: Product: HP Scanjet Scanner
usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
usb 4-1: SerialNumber: CN38DS24YS

# export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
# export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
# export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL646=255
# scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of genesys to 255.
[genesys] SANE Genesys backend version 1.0 build 63 from sane-backends
1.0.22
[genesys] SANE Genesys backend built with libusb
[genesys] sane_init: authorize != null
[genesys] sane_init: little endian machine
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: start
[genesys] attach: start: devp != NULL, may_wait = 0
[genesys] attach: trying to open device `libusb:004:011'
[genesys] attach: couldn't open device `libusb:004:011': Invalid
argument
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: exit
[genesys] sane_init: exit
[genesys] sane_get_devices: start: local_only = false
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: start
[genesys] attach: start: devp != NULL, may_wait = 0
[genesys] attach: trying to open device `libusb:004:011'
[genesys] attach: couldn't open device `libusb:004:011': Invalid
argument
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: exit
[genesys] sane_get_devices: exit

[genesys] sane_exit: start
[genesys] sane_exit: exit

# sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x1405, chip=GL646_HP?) at
libusb:004:011
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

# rpm -qa | grep libusb
libusb1.0_0-1.0.8-1.1.mga1
libusb-compat0.1_4-0.1.3-4.mga1
libusbmuxd1-1.0.7-1.mga1

>From /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf:
# Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3670c/3690c
usb 0x03f0 0x1405

genesys is listed in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and I've moved the entry to
the end of
the file to make it load as default (according to man sane-dll).

Alas, still no luck.
Anything else I could try or should I just give it up?

Best regards,
Michael