[Splashy-devel] Splashy time. when time resurrects

Luis M Luis M <lemsx1@gmail.com>
Sun, 29 May 2005 12:35:00 -0400

On 5/28/05, Alban browaeys <browaeys.alban@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 28 mai 2005 =E0 17:24 +0200, Vincenzo Ampolo a =E9crit :
>=20
> > I couldn't be the admin of this project because i don't believe that th=
> > way of it operates is the best, but you know splashy better than me, so
> > i wanna leave from my position on this project and give to you the
> > administrator privilegies.
>=20
> Well if you don't endors the c version that s the best way out.
>=20
> > I'll start another project, starting from the splashy-0.1-5 code and
> > called with another name and in C++ code.
>=20
>=20
> Please don't. I would better see the alioth version renamed csplashy and
> you keeping the named of the program you created.

Vincenzo, it seems that you are very touched by the whole process of
splashy. If you look at the code base (logs and dates) you would
notice that you have not contributed to it in a long time. This is the
reason why I know more of splashy than you (I know that your account
in Alioth was messed up. That's why I talked to the Alioth admins so
that they fix it. But this is in the past).

For me splashy is not a passionate thing. I work in so many projects.
All i care is to get something that works. When I see something
broken, I create a new project and get it fixed. If people see the
same need, they join my project in the same way that I join other
projects when I see that I can help and it fixes a need that I have.

You have been talking about leaving splashy (C version) for some time.
So, I won't try to stop you anymore. You must have your reasons. For
me, 4 seconds is not a big deal, even if that was introduced by the
FIFO reading routines (which is  the only thing that splashy does
different from the C++ version). And the rapid release cycle I see it
as a strength, and not as a weakness or lost of credibility.

Now, about the name "splashy" itself. We all contributed to getting
the name change from debsplash -> usplash -> splashy. Which was
suggested by me in the IRC and we all agree on it. Even so, I'm not
attached to it. You can continue using it and we can brain storm to
get another one or use Csplashy as suggested by Alban above. It's your
project after all. Now, the C version of splashy will continue to
evolve in its own grownds, so eventually, the C++ version and the C
version will just be a fork() of e/a other (as they now are really).
So, it's better that we choose a different name for the C version.

What does changing the name from splashy to "whatever" takes is a
burden we will have to carry:

1. go through the sources
2. go through the documentation
3. create a new alioth project
4. create a new svn repo
5. tell people to switch svn repo (--relocate works)
6. create a new IRC channel
7. upload "whatever" to experimental and re-create/rename the DBTS
(debian bug tracking system) to switch to the new name...
8. many other steps that will take time and effort

I have nothing against doing that because we have done it many times
before. This is open source. However, as you can see, this is a huge
undertaking.

Next time we get on IRC, let's discuss this with sladen, otavio and
the rest, to see how we can choose what's best for others as well. For
me in particular, I'm not affraid of changes. And I'm not affraid of
working (even for free) for something that I believe will benefit
others as well as my self. This is the reason why I have put so many
hours into getting splashy off the ground and then to port it to C.

One more time. I'm sad that you are so sensitive in this subject.
Perhaps in 10 years when you are older you might revisit this in your
mind and understand it better. The way I see it: this is something we
do for the whole "community". It's not a personal thing for neither of
us.

I do hope that you can contribute do "whatever" we name splashy and
keep helping us (possibly by telling us what you have done in C++ that
we could get backported to C).

Best of luck.

--=20
Luis M
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org=20

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html