[Splashy-devel] gdm/kdm/xdm and splashy

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Mon Sep 24 18:58:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:25:49 -0400
"Luis Mondesi" <lemsx1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>
> Do you recall what you did to fix bug #421441?
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=421441;msg=15
>
> I noticed that /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh had this line commented out:
>
>     echo ${0} | egrep -q '((gdm$)|(kdm$)|(xdm$))' && PER=100
>
> Having that off triggers the problem in my setup.

People where having problems, because if we trigger on log_end_msg we
stop splashy while gdm (and X) is already starting up. This means we're
having a race between X starting splashy stopping.
The solution was stopping splashy when log_daemon_msg() is called, that
means at the start of the gdm script. This made the line above obsolete.

But I know remember I should have filed bugs against xdm and kdm to add
a log_daemon_msg()

> If I uncomment it, things
> work fine (When the log_end_msg() function is called and gdm/kdm/xdm is the
> script calling it, the progress goes to 100% and Splashy exits;
> which is what we are looking for)

Also from initramfs?

> I'm closing all bugs that I can before 0.3.6 is released.

Nice;)

grts Tim