[Teammetrics-discuss] The Database Phase

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jun 16 12:34:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:19:27PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please update your repository.

Done.

> > Probably you also need a mailing list URL field in addition.  In worst
> > case you can have list with the same name but on different list servers
> > (say Ubuntu would also start a teammetrics-discuss or so).
>
> Done.

I had some time to think about my suggestion.  While we somehow need to
store the URL which belongs to a mailing list I think bloating every
single entry in the database with this information makes no sense.  It
is not only a waste of diskspace it is also annoying if you try to do
some simple "SELECT *" queries and always get those in most cases
redundant information.

Perhaps we should regard the lists entry in the config file as *ID* and
should in case there are more than one list with the same name the
config file would need to feature an additional id.  For instance:

[list-name]
url = http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/
lists = cdd-commits
        blends-commit
        debian-med-commit
        teammetrics-discuss

[list-name]
url = http://some.other.listserver.org/
lists = some-list
        teammetrics-discuss

should be invalid.  In this case it should rather read

[list-name]
url = http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/
lists = cdd-commits
        blends-commit
        debian-med-commit
        teammetrics-discuss

[list-name]
url = http://some.other.listserver.org/
lists = some-list

[list-name]
url = http://some.other.listserver.org/
        teammetrics-discuss
list-id = teammetrics-discuss-other

Or something like this.  So your config parser should verify that there
is no list name duplicated without specifying an additional list-id.  I
admit this is a bit weak maintenance-wise, but filling up the database
with basically unique URLs sounds a bit stupid.

> Another thing, where do we store the database name, username and
> password to connect to? The script as you did earlier (in
> team_analysis_tools), or somewhere else? Not important for testing,
> but while we are it, we can do it perfectly :-)

IMHO it can be done in a variable inside the code (somewhere at top).
I do not see any need for changing this frequently.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de