[Tux4kids-discuss] GSoC proposal - Word List Editor

Victor Tozo de Carvalho victortozo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:30:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have already introduced myself in the past emails
(first<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/tux4kids-tuxtype-dev/2010-March/000684.html>and
second<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/tux4kids-tuxtype-dev/2010-March/000710.html>
).

I may be too late to discuss my idea but even if my proposal is not accepted
in GSoC, I would like a feedback about what do you guys think about my idea.

Even if Brendan has said that my idea might not have high priority to GSoC,
I'm happy to have had an idea that relates the educational purposes of
Tuxtype and with what I'm learning with my internship.

For those who prefer reading in google docs, here's the link:
gsoc-project<https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcBdoxJaYXmLZGR0NDIzNThfNDFnM2p0cmhrYw&hl=pt_BR>

-=-=-=-=-=-

*The general idea*
*
**1. Images and sounds included with the list of words in a library.

*My basic idea was to extend the word list editor to include background
images that are related to the library. For example, when choosing the type
of game and then the library will be used, the background images associated
with this library should be shown during the game.
It may be useful to include music to the libraries like the images, to be
played during the game.

*2. Improving the interface for editing libraries.*

After using the editor for awhile, I realized that improving the interface
problems that the editor has, can be vital for the real use of this feature.
I think the idea of using an interactive help (one of my ideas to the new
interface), could be used in other game menus.

*3. Import / Export libraries.*

Finally, the last feature that I think is useful is to import and export
libraries.
A teacher who creates one or several libraries, with images and sounds,
should be able to export them to other environments easily.

*Interface
*

*1. Motivation for the problem.*

I have been working 9 months with the development of a tool for distance
learning (TelEduc <http://www.teleduc.org.br/>) guided by a teacher PhD in
Human-Computer interface
(Heloisa<http://www.ic.unicamp.br/docentes/professor.2006-04-12.4554208824/view?set_language=en>
).
During all this time, I learned a lot about interface problems and also how
easily an user can have problems with obvious applications for developers.

Based on what I learned (my experience), many instructors may have questions
and difficulties to build their libraries with the current interface
implemented.

 *2. Interactive help.*

In addition to the suggestions mentioned below, an intuitive way to help the
user is using a help that is associated with the action of leaving the mouse
over a button or have selected a button when using the keyboard to navigate.

After a short period of time, a quick explanation of what is possible to do
when clicking the button is printed on the screen.

I created a simple illustration in Figure 1.

*Figure 1*

Another possible way would be to have the Tux, somewhere on the screen,
guiding the user with explanations.

*3. Other suggestions for interface.*

   - Both buttons as libraries should be clickable and navigable by the
   keyboard. Currently, only the buttons are clickable and only the libraries
   accessible by keyboard.

   - Creating an 'edit' button as another way for the user to edit the
   libraries.

   - Libraries must appear in the form of buttons (different from the main
   menu) or in a more clean list to get an intuitive action of clicking.

These ideas apply in other functions of the word list editor, as in 'new',
the dependence of the keyboard should be decreased with the addition of
buttons

*Background images and Audio in the library*

*1. Motivation for the problem.*

Tuxtype already possess background images that change over time. What I
would like to do is improve the customization of the game so that the
instructor can also teach children with images.

For example, lets say that the instructor has created a library of mammals.
He could add some pictures of mammals which he added in this library word
list and the images would appear during the game!

*2. Observation*

I don't know if the idea of adding sounds is good or appropriate. I became
interested and spent more time on interface problems and the possibility of
using more images in the game.
I think is important be able to customize the libraries but I don't like the
idea of losing the spirit of the game. I mean, the audio used inTuxType is
great, makes me feel in a real arcade.

Anyway, for this ideas I'll need to make some changes on the organization of
libraries [1] and be careful with the problems that can be generated to
migrate the functions of selecting the background image and audio that will
run during the game [2].

*Import and Export*

I believe that to close the customization package of libraries, we must add
the function to import and export these libraries [3].

With this feature, after you create your library, it is extremely easy to
pass it to other computer.

*Implementation*

[1] - I believe the best way of organizing these libraries  to facilitate
the implementation and the problem of importing them would be:

a) Create a folder 'library' in the user environment (.tuxtype/library at
his home in Linux) and libraries would be created in it, organized into
single folders each one with their background images, words list and maybe
sounds.

b) Create a default folder, with the defaults backgrounds and sounds to
centralize the location where these files are read

[2] - It will need to change some function calls to the new location and
added a default check, if there are images in the library, should use them.
The same for the sounds.

[3] - If everything suggested so far is accepted, the implementation of
import and export can be done without problems using some form of
compression to the specific folder of selected library
A good interface can make the user to import and to export libraries without
problems.

Thank you for reading,