[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux4Kids Mobile

Martin Boyanov mboyanov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:55:27 UTC 2013

Hello Tux users,
my name is Martin and I am interested in the Google Summer of Code Tux4Kids
Mobile project.
I downloaded all three modules TuxMath,TuxWrite and Tux Paint and after
playing a few games, I realised I had an old summer project which could be
rewritten to port these games for Android. A few hours later I had a
working version of the TuxMath game ready which you can download
below(Sorry - no Tux or lasers yet!). I am looking forward to receiving
some feedback.
Anyways, I would like to start a discussion on the scope of this project. I
believe it is quite possible to implement the most used features of all
three modules in the given time frame, so I would like to get some input
which these are. I am posting below a series of proposed features and
questions for each module

Tux Math:

- Full Implementation of the Tux Math game as it is(perhaps time will not
be sufficient to implement all of the lessons).
- The Factoroids game seems to have really complex controls for a mobile
application. I propose instead a game where the player has to guide Tux to
the right answer using the accelerometer, dodging some wrong answers on the
way. Or maybe the player has to combine some elements to create a final
result by collecting the right numbers and switch Tux's
abilities(mathematical operations). For example if the required result is
13 and the numbers are 3 9 7 25 1 the player has to switch to - , collect 3
, switch to +, collect 9 ,collect 7.

TuxType:
-Implementation of the full game is possible, but I have a really big
concern regarding the limited drawing space on mobile devices - the
keyboard takes up half the screen and the remaining space won't be enough
to draw all the cool graphics TuxType has. I believe that a replacement
game would be better. Any ideas?
The only one I've had so far is to have a text-controlled side-scroller.
The player has to type words to make Tux progress forward, but there are
also some reserved words like "hit","attack","block","throw", "jump" to
control the character. This would also require parsing some childrens'
books to acquire a larger wordset of child-safe words.

Tux Paint:
- This module has a lot of functionality, so implementing all of it is not
feasible. What would you say are the most important features?

All:
If a mobile connection is present, we can post highscores online and have
kids competing against each other. More distant future - we can even have
matches - who comes out with the highest score in a game.

Thank you for reading and for any feedback!
All the best,
Martin

P.S. App
<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxYLkQRqdXrcUVhoLThseDIyZUU/edit?usp=sharing>should
run on Android 2.1+. Also, if you make a mistake there is no undo button -
you have to enter a 3-digit number which automatically resets to null.