[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Branches and conflicts and git, oh my!

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 05:14:26 UTC 2009

Hi Brendan,

> That's good to hear. I'll see if I can get TM linking properly to a shared
> lib. I'm inclined to stick to CMake and leave the autotooling to the
> experts, though.

If you know of one, ask him/her to help me with this stuff ;)

> Is a libtool library special, or did you just mean you
> built with libtool?

Built with libtool.  The autotools build of libt4kcommon can be done
from tux4kids/branches/commonification/t4kcommon/trunk with:

autoreconf -i
./configure
make
sudo make install

It creates both libt4kcommon.a (for static linking, I think) and
libt4kcommon.so (for shared linking) as well as some versioning
symlinks and libt4kcommon.la, which is something libtool uses.

The "make install" command also prints the following notice, which
probably tells us what we need to do to get the shared linking working
(I just haven't gotten around to working on it):

==================================

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Hope this helps.  I'll probably work on this tomorrow.

Best,

David