[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] bugfixes for tuxmath and tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:49:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think we should release 1.7.1 versions for tuxmath and tuxtyping
soon, as a lot of the initial bugs in the 1.7.0 versions have now been
fixed in svn.

For tuxmath, fixes/improvements include:
1. number generation reliably avoids indeterminate questions (e.g. 0 x
? = 0) except with multiple-operand questions.
2. training academy lesson files fixed to prevent carry-over of
undesired settings from previous game
3. factoroids background now scales correctly for large monitors.
4. factoroids background image tidied up with GIMP
5. factoroids ship movement smoother.
6. factoroids ship velocity bug on replay fixed.
7. some new menu icons

Regarding tuxtype, 1.7.0 is fairly seriously broken:
1. the bundled font path is incorrect, so anything relying on it
(meaning everyone except debian users with the needed fonts installed)
didn't work.
This is fixed in svn.
2. The lessons menu does not work in fullscreen (now fixed).
3. Some of the new Indic themes require fonts that are not yet
included (not yet fixed)
4. The Windows build is missing libiconv2-dll (fixed).
5. The Windows build does not set the locale successfully, so gettext
doesn't work (not yet fixed).
6. The phrase practice activity does not display correctly in Windows
(appears to be due to wchar_t being 16 bits in win32 instead of 32
bits in unix).

As it stands, tuxmath 1.7.0 is very usable, but tuxtype 1.7.0 is not
ready for general consumption.  I think we should post what is
currently in svn as 1.7.1.

The Windows issues on tuxtype may take a while to fix.

Cheers,

David