[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Interim Build on the website

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 03:36:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Caroline Ford
<caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'd say no as windows users will install a packaged SVN build that may be
> broken in multiple ways.

Well, I don't think there is any reason to believe that Matt's
packages would have any more bugs than mine.  I don't think Matt is
talking about posting nightly snapshot builds that might have a lot of
work in progress.  I think he means putting up an interim release that
has some things that are fixed since the last release, even if I
having gotten around to putting up an "official" release.  None of the
Windows builds have ever been tested by anyone other than me before
they were released.

> Those who really want to get a bleeding edge build can get it from SVN and
> would hopefully know what that meant. Although we always say 'no warranty' I
> think we should save alpha and beta releases for our more technical
> userbase.

I think Matt is intending his builds to be for "early adopters".
Also, for the Windows platform, it isn't so simple to just grab the
latest  source from svn and build with a few simple commands.  It is
really a pain in the rear to set up the Windows build environment
needed for tuxtype, either from within Windows or as a cross-build
from Linux.

My only concern would be making the download process more confusing for users.

Anyway, I would just favor a "release early and often" approach, and
get a 1.8.1 build up within the next few weeks.

Best,

David