[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Interim Build on the website

Matthew Trey tux4kids at treyhome.com
Sun Nov 15 16:51:14 UTC 2009

I was thinking about the beta tester types, yes.  There is but a handful of
people, present company included that have the right toolchain built to
cross compile tux4kids to windows.  I think it would be beneficial perhaps
to have a beta page, with a clear warning that the files there are UNSTABLE,
much like many larger open-source projects do.  This would not be on the
main download page, but a separate page describing its purpose.   I think in
the end if we can get an interim build out to the early adopters, that bugs
will be found and reported, making the official releases more stable, and
actually improving our reputation for releasing stable code.

I do understand your concern Caroline, and you are right, we need to make a
good effort to warn educators not to consider using a beta build in a
production environment, because eventually something will break and nobody
wants that.