[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Input methods in tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:36:52 UTC 2011

Hi Seungwon,

I'm really excited to hear of your interest in getting the input
methods for Asian (and perhaps other) languages working in tuxtype!

The input methods code currently in tuxtype's source tree was taken
from Tux Paint and minimally modified (mainly file name changes), but
as you can see it isn't yet actually used in tuxtype.  The code was
written by Mark Kim, who I have cc'd, hopefully with a current email
address.

You might know that tuxmath and tuxtype have had a lot of informally
shared code, which more recently has been made into the "t4k_common"
library.  Tuxmath has been adapted to use t4k_common, but tuxtype does
not yet use it.  We plan to switch tuxtype to t4k_common before the
next public release.  I think the input methods "state machine" would
be most appropriately located in t4k_common, rather than in tuxtype
per se.  I would leave it to you whether you want to start by leaving
input_methods.c/.h within tuxtype and getting them working, or move
them into t4k_common as "t4k_input_methods.c" and start linking
tuxtype to t4k_common.

This is really exciting!  I've known that a big shortcoming of tuxtype
was inability to accept input from languages that use sequential
keypresses for a single unicode character.

Welcome to tux4kids,

David Bruce