[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxEng Design Methodology

Alangi Derick alangiderick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 12:07:08 UTC 2015

Hello,
      After working on my idea on how to implement TuxEng for sometime now,
i came up with a draft, i think this will reveal to the community what i am
about to do.
I am going to use the following technologies for implementing the system:
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- JavaScript
- Phaser(JS Library).
- PHP or JavaScript Server Side Programming
- MySQL or PostgreSQL DBMS
- Asynchronous JavaScript(AJAX)

*Methodology*
     I intend to make this game in levels and i have done some research and
gathered information about what kids like when it comes to game play
(especially educative games). The main trend of this game will be as
follows;

Letters and their Sounds -> Letters -> Words -> Clauses -> Phrases -> Short
Sentences -> Long Sentences.

This will be the trend that kids will follow in the game and this game will
be split in various levels of difficulty(Easy, Intermediate, Hard). Based
on this idea, when a kids plays the game and leaves, when he/she comes back
to resume play, the game should resume where he/she stopped playing which
now brings into consideration the creation of accounts before game
play(this was not mentioned in the project explanation).

A way of keeping track of this is using a database to save the states of
each kid when he/she resumes play. Explaining the trend above, we will see
the standard;

1) *Letters and Sounds*: This will teach the kid how to see each letter and
know the sound of the letter. This will enable the kid a long way in
reading by combining the sounds in the word.

2) *Letters*: The kids at this level will be able to recognize letters of
the alphabet and and even a group of them from the shapes (principle: No
two different letters in English have the same shape).

3) *Words*: At this level, the kids should be able to combine letters to
form simple words in English and be able to pronounce them and understand
their meaning if necessary.

4) *Clauses*: Reaching this point, the kid should be able to form simple
clauses which makes meaning and at this level, the kid has really improved
in English language

5) *Phrases*: Phrases are a better version of clauses and phrases makes
more meaning and sense than clauses, meaning if a kid is at this level,
he/she is almost at the level of knowing English Language to standard.

6) *Short Sentences*: At this point, kids can speak English fluently by
making simple sentences which makes meaning and convey information from one
person to another.

7) *Long Sentences*: Wow, this is it. When the kid is at this level, he/she
can communicate very well to others. This is the goal.

Note: Additional features will be added to this game in the long run(not in
the GSoC period) like: Handling sentences with tenses (Past Tense, Present
Tense, Future Tense etc) so that the kid can be able to know to relate
issues of different times using the tenses.

This is just how the whole game will look like in terms of the teaching
standard so please i call on all the members of this organisation to look
at this approach that i am proposing and make comments and also i call on
any mentor that is interested in mentoring me on this project should
contact me so that we start working on it at once. Thank you all.

Regards
Alangi Derick Ndimnain