[Vmdebootstrap-devel] The --package option of vmdebootstrap

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Fri May 22 08:32:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:34:26 +0300
Robert S <uikmi at yandex.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I tried to make a disk image for Beaglebone Black with vmdebootstrap,

Which version of vmdebootstrap?

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/vmdebootstrap

> but was unsuccessful. I would appreciate any advice you may have.
>
> I have read what I could find about this topic:
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/TI/BeagleBone
> http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/?p=113
> https://www.godobject.net/articles/8
>
> After I installed vmdebootstrap on a Debian system

(Always specify the version of the Debian system you're using and the
version of the package itself.)

> executed: /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack.sh
> --image bbb.img This was the output:
>
>   Creating disk image
>   Creating partitions
>   Creating filesystem ext4
>   Mounting /dev/mapper/loop0p2 on /tmp/tmp1IdDI0
>   Creating filesystem vfat
>   Mounting /dev/mapper/loop0p1 on /tmp/tmp1IdDI0/boot/
>   Debootstrapping

That makes me think it's an old version as current outputs the
distribution specified in the options, e.g. stable or sid.

>   Setting up binfmt handler
>   Running debootstrap second stage
>   Give root an empty password
>   Removing udev persistent cd and net rules
>   Setting up networking
>   Configuring apt to use distribution and mirror
>   Running customize
> script /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack-customise.sh
> cp: cannot stat ‘/tmp/tmp1IdDI0/usr/lib/u-boot/am335x_boneblack/MLO’:
> No such file or directory EEEK! Something bad happened... Command
> failed: /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack-customise.sh /tmp/tmp1IdDI0
>   Cleaning
> up ERROR: Command
> failed: /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack-customise.sh /tmp/tmp1IdDI0
>
> I get the same error even with a different mirror and with a larger
> image size. The --package option doesn't seem to work, u-boot just
> doesn't get installed. I don't have a lot of experience with this
> kind of thing, so I may have left out steps that would seem obvious.
> I haven't found any discussions of such an error. I'll be checking
> the Vmdebootstrap-devel list for any replies.

With current version of vmdebootstrap:

Creating disk image
Creating partitions
Using bootsize 100mib: 104857600 bytes
Creating filesystem ext4
Mounting /dev/mapper/loop0p2 on /tmp/tmpkgxKrN
Creating filesystem vfat
Mounting /dev/mapper/loop0p1 on /tmp/tmpkgxKrN/boot/
Debootstrapping sid
Setting up binfmt handler
Running debootstrap second stage
Give root an empty password
Removing udev persistent cd and net rules
Setting up networking
Configuring apt to use distribution and mirror
Running customize script /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack-customise.sh
Updating the initramfs
Changing owner to neil
Cleaning up

$ dpkg -l vmdebootstrap
ii  vmdebootstrap    0.7-1   amd64

Check the log file which the script creates in the same directory as the image:
beaglebone-black.log (which will have root:root permissions).

2015-05-22 09:14:03 DEBUG debootstrap --arch=armhf
--include=u-boot,dosfstools,linux-image-armmp --foreign
sid /tmp/tmpkgxKrN http://http.debian.net/debian

That shows whether the options passed to --package are collated and
passed down to debootstrap. Any problems installing those packages will
show up in the subsequent parts of the log file.

I'm planning a backport of vmdebootstrap to jessie-backports - you
should be able to simply install vmdebootstrap from testing or unstable
onto jessie (if that's what you are using) in the meantime, or run
vmdebootstrap directly from a git clone.

--

Neil Williams